Summer Reading has taken over the Anacortes library, and that means prizes every week plus a special Harry Potter Birthday prize for one lucky reader next week.
The library has a special dragon visitor while it's closed to the public, and you can follow along on social media to see what it's reading. Our library staff need our younger readers to help us out! The dragon has so many books to choose from, it doesn't know which to read first. Any reader under 18 years old can submit a reading recommendation in photo, video, or written form online to enter to win the Harry Potter Prize Bag courtesy of Friends of the Library, Lil' Tugs, and The Business. Contest ends July 31st. Go to the library website for details on how to enter and get that dragon reading!
Halfway prizes are now available for Pre-readers and Elementary readers. Prizes will be available for pick-up at the Library during Curbside Pick-up hours (Monday to Friday 11 to 4). We hope you might put a few books on hold and pick them up along with your prize, or you can stop by the library just to get your prize. Here’s what to do:
When you get to the library park in one of the pick-up spots out front and call the number on the sign.
Tell the library staff member that you are here for your halfway prize and they will ask if you need prizes for a Pre-Reader (birth to 5 years) or Elementary School Reader (grades K-5).
A library staff member will bring your prize to you!
Don’t worry if you haven’t reached your halfway mark yet, prizes will be available through August.
Adults can participate in summer reading 2020 too. Celebrate Harry Potter's birthday and do what Hermione would do... go to the library. Reserve books for curbside pickup Monday-Friday, and check the library website for a video walkthrough on how to place holds, online library card signup, and more. The library is getting new books every day, and taking requests for reserves. Read online or in person with your library card, and remember if you need WIFI, the library parking lot has free WIFI for all, as long as you're six feet apart of course.
Library programs continue online on Facebook and the library website all summer. The library remains closed to the public through Phase 2.
Below is our schedule of virtual events for next week, including weekly library programs, special guest storytimes and more!
Monday, July 27
- Family Storytime @ 11 am - Celebrate summer reading with an all-ages storytime! Ria will share magical tales every Monday morning at 11am.
Tuesday, July 28
- Tuesday Tales @ 6pm - This week library assistant and firefighter Cheri treats us to fun with firefighter LEGOs as she reads for Tuesday Tales. Don’t miss seeing Cheri in her firefighting gear!
Wednesday, July 29
- Baby/Toddler Storytime @ 11am - Join Ms. Leslie for another awesome storytime full of great books, nursery rhymes, and even a song or two!
Thursday, July 30
- Virtual Storybook Adventure @ 10am - Every Thursday we will share a new Virtual Storybook Adventure where you can hear a fabulous story and choose from several fun activities.
- Pajama Storytime @ 6pm - Join Ms. Diana in your PJs for three bedtime stories to get you ready for the weekend with some giggles and inspiring reads.
Friday, July 31
- Author Read Aloud with Carmen Agra Deedy @ 9 am - Every Friday children’s author Carmen Agra Deedy will read aloud a fabulous tale or two. Visit the APL Facebook page to watch. Also look for some Weekend Fun each Friday where we share favorite Virtual Resources.
Our back book drop on 9th Street is now open on Tuesdays and Fridays from 11am to 4pm. Please drop off books during these hours only, as it gives our staff time to quarantine the books for 72 hours before processing. We still can’t accept donations of books or magazines. While we appreciate your kindness, please keep any donations you have at home until the library and Friend Shop reopen in the future.
We are offering curbside holds pickup from 11am - 4pm, Monday through Friday. Requests for materials can be placed in our online catalog. See our website for a video walkthrough on reserving items. Patrons will be notified when items are ready for checkout. To keep our staff and patrons safe, we are limiting checkouts to 5 items per card. Park in the designated curbside pickup area in the main parking lot on 10th street, call in to the library, and a staff member will bring materials to the car. Our staff will be wearing masks and gloves and items will be bagged for safety. If you have items to return, please drop them off in our back book drops separately during return hours, as our staff will not accept returns during curbside pickup in order to decrease risk of contact as much as possible. For detailed curbside pickup instructions, visit our library webpage.
Don't forget you can still call us for account questions, technical assistance, book recommendations, local updates, or just to say hi. We still have library staff available weekdays from 11:00am-4:00pm at 360-293-1910.