The ;city has set a series of pubic hearings in January on a proposed 2016 Comprehensive Plan, the bludprint that guides the city’s growth over the next 20 years.
Over the past year and a half, community engagement activities and public input have helped to inform proposed updates to the plan and the DRAFT 2016 Comprehensive Plan is now available for public review and comment.
The draft plan encompasses topics that address the physical, social, and economic health of the city including land use, housing, economic development, environment and conservation, parks & recreation/open space, transportation, capital facilities, and utilities elements.
Some of the priority topics covered in the draft plan include: Housing affordability and variety; accommodating growth while maintaining community character; sustainability and climate change; desired development of the downtown and central Fidalgo Bay waterfront; and development of a multi-modal transportation system.
Other key proposed updates and changes include:
- Updated population and employment projections, extending the GMA planning horizon to 2036
- Future Land Use Map amendments to provide greater capacity and flexibility for residential and commercial development
- Policy and text amendments to incorporate public input and reflect updated State guidance
- Format changes to increase the information content, accessibility, and readability of the document An extensive visioning effort resulted in the following Vision Statement for Anacortes, which guided development of the draft plan:
Anacortes is a unique, creative, vibrant, and caring maritime waterfront community that supports cultural and economic diversity and vitality, balances sustainable growth with respect for our history, and protects our natural environment, and public lands for future generations.
The public is encouraged to provide input on the draft Comprehensive Plan goals and policies and proposed land use designations. The draft plan and associated documents can be accessed here:
Additional opportunities for public comment are planned, including multiple Planning Commission and City Council meetings in early 2016. Meetings will be noticed using various methods, including mailings, email, on the City’s website, publication in the Anacortes American, and other methods. You can sign up to receive email notifications by visiting the above-referenced website.
Date/Time - Topic
- Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 6pm: Parks, Recreation & Open Space and Environment & Conservation
- Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 6pm: Land Use and Housing
- Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 6pm: Economic Development, Capital Facilities and Utilities
- Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 6pm: Transportation
All hearings will be held in the Municipal Building Council Chambers (City Hall, 904 – 6th Street, Anacortes, WA 98221). Interested parties may appear and provide testimony to the Planning Commission on the Draft Comprehensive Plan update during the hearing. Preferably, written comments should be submitted prior to the hearing dealing with the applicable element. The public comment period closes on February 10, 2016.