Pedestrians and merchants on Commercial Ave. between 7th St. and 8th St. will soon enjoy a sidewalk that is free of trip hazards, thanks to a new $26,000 project to smooth out the sidewalk.
The City Public Works Engineering Department completed plans and specifications for the Trip Hazard Project earlier this year. It is anticipated that the construction will take place this month or early next month.
The project provides for the reconstruction of a portion of the downtown Central Business District sidewalks that will eliminate trip hazards at tree wells. The work includes, but not limited to, street excavation and hauling, concrete traffic curb, concrete sidewalks, tree wells and tree plantings.
The project design includes:
- Limiting the removal of sidewalk and curb\gutter to heaved areas. This will allow ease of access for pedestrians to all store fronts during construction.
- Phased construction approach, instead of shutting the entire block down.
- Reconstructing the tree wells in the same manner as all of the other blocks along Commercial Avenue that were reconstructed between 2002 and 2008.
- A Maple variety (Armstrong) especially suitable for streetscape planting.
- An aeration system to keep the street trees healthy.