A house about a half-mile south of Campbell Lake was destroyed by fire last weekend. Mount Erie Fire Department firefighters reported the house was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived shortly after midnight Sunday morning.
Fire department spokesman Vince Streano said the fire started in the chimney, then burned into the attic before smoke detectors in the house went off.
Firefighters from Anacortes and La Conner fought icy roads to transport water from the nearest fire hydrant, but firefighters eventually decided to let the fire burn itself out. That decision was made, in part at least, to prevent an accident because the house was virtually destroyed.
The couple in the house made it out because of the fire detectors.