The City of Anacortes is seeking interested residents to fill two positions on the Anacortes Library Board of Trustees. One position will be active through December 31, 2021 and the other term through December 31, 2022.
The responsibilities of a library board of trustee member include:
- Listening to community needs and concerns, and communicating with the community on library policy issues
- Supporting the library’s public relations program
- Understanding local and state laws regarding public libraries and keeping abreast of library trends and standards
- Understanding and abiding by library board bylaws
- Understanding of the public library’s commitment to intellectual freedom and the rights of library users to read and seek information equitably and confidentially
- On an ad hoc basis, representing the library at city council meetings and other public forums
- Discussing and adopting library policies
- With the library director, reviewing the annual library budget
- Attending all regularly scheduled board meetings and other special meetings as needed
- Attending library functions as appropriate
- Working with library director on community assessment & long range plans
- Affiliating with state and national library organizations
It is helpful to have the following qualifications and experience:
- Interest in the library and community
- Willingness to learn about the library and its services
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Public speaking skills
- Good organizational skills and ability to lead committees
- Holds a current library card
- Ability to gracefully handle opposition and make decisions in the best interest of the library
- Knowledgeable of political issues that may affect the library
- Awareness and appreciation of the library’s past, present & future role in the community
- Ability to work effectively as a team member within the Board.
The board consists of five members who currently meet the 3rd Monday of each month at 10am, at the Anacortes Library, 1220 10th Street.
To apply, please submit a Talent Bank Application form by Friday, October 13, 2017. Applications are available online at http://www.cityofanacortes.org/Executive/Talent_Bank_App.pdf or at City Hall.
Mayor Gere and the Library Board President will review applications and set up meetings with candidates selected to move forward with the process.