Public comment now accepted on draft EIS for Tesoro Anacortes Clean Products Upgrade Project
The draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the proposed Tesoro Anacortes Clean Products Upgrade Project is now available for public review and comment.
Tesoro proposes additions and upgrades to its existing facility in order to produce 15,000 barrels per day of mixed xylenes and to supply cleaner local transportation fuels.
The draft EIS is available for review online and at reading rooms throughout the region. The public may submit comments on the draft EIS through midnight on May 8, 2017. Skagit County will be available to hear from the public and answer questions at an open house and public hearing. The public can also submit verbal testimony and written comments at the public hearing.
Open house and public hearing
4 to 8 p.m. Monday, April 17, 2017
Anacortes High School, 1600 20th Street, Anacortes, Washington
Doors open at 4 p.m. Public hearing from 4:30 to 6 p.m. and 6:30 to 8 p.m.
• Mount Vernon City Library
• Anacortes Public Library
• Burlington Public Library
• La Conner Regional Library
• Guemes Island Library
• Skagit Valley Community College
• Skagit Valley College- San Juan Island
• Skagit County Planning and Development Services
How to comment
• Online Open House: www.TesoroAnacortesEIS.com
• Mail: Tesoro Anacortes EIS , P.O. Box 21069, Seattle, WA 98111
• Phone: 1-877-685-7356 (toll free) - record a comment up to five minutes; no limit on number of comments
• Hand delivery: Skagit County Planning and Development Services, 1800 Continental Place, Mount Vernon, WA 98273 (Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
• Public hearing: provide verbal testimony and/or written comments
• All comments must be received by midnight on May 8, 2017
More information about the project and draft EIS
Tesoro’s proposal includes new equipment and infrastructure to produce and store mixed xylenes, to remove more sulfur compounds from gasoline in order to make cleaner fuels, and to capture vapors from marine vessels that would come to the Tesoro Anacortes refinery dock. The proposal also includes adding up to five marine vessels per month to established lanes dedicated to industrial shipping activity.
Skagit County studied the potential environmental impacts of the proposed project in the EIS, which provides objective information about potential impacts to the environment, and measures that can avoid or minimize those impacts. The EIS is not a permit. The final EIS will be used during the permitting process.
Once the comment period ends and comments are reviewed, Skagit County will prepare a final Environmental Impact Statement, expected in the summer of 2017.
Accommodations for limited English proficiency populations are available at www.TesoroAnacortesEIS.com. To request materials in alternate formats, follow the instructions at www.TesoroAnacortesEIS.com.
For more information, please see www.TesoroAnacortesEIS.com