A fire early Christmas morning at an Anacortes hotel claimed the life of one occupant.
Firefighters were called Sunday morning to the Sunrise Inn Villas and Suites in the 900 block of 20th Street in Anacortes for a fire alarm. On arrival, a fire was found burning in one unit of the twenty-six unit complex.
After forcing entry, firefighters located one unresponsive female victim, who was rescued from the building. CPR was initiated, and transported by Anacortes Fire Department Paramedic Unit to Island Hospital. The female was pronounced dead at Island Hospital after resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful.
The fire was quickly extinguished and was contained to one unit within the hotel. Cause of the fire is determined to be combustibles placed too close to a natural gas fireplace. Damage to contents and the structure are estimated to be around $50,000, not including the loss in revenue for future proceeds.
Firefighters from Anacortes Fire Department, Skagit County Fire District 11 and Skagit County Fire District 13 responded, as well as police officers from the Anacortes Police Department.