I wanted to provide you with the latest update on the state’s transportation package. In addition to passing the Operating and Capital Budgets last week, we passed the transportation funding bill, which will provide approximately $42 million in projects – and jobs – for the 40th District.
My thanks to House Transportation Chair Judy Clibborn for her leadership and tireless negotiations on this package since May 2013. I would also like to express my gratitude to my seatmate, Rep. Jeff Morris, for working with me to ensure our district’s key transportation projects were funded.
There are a few more transportation budget bills to vote on, and I am hopeful we will pass these as soon as the Senate resolves two education-related policy issues.
Here are the 40th District priority projects funded in the new transportation package:
- A fourth 144-car ferry
- Washington Park to Ferry Terminal/Trail
- Increased dollars for maintenance at the Anacortes ferry terminal
- Trestle/Park and Ride/Trail
- Guemes Island Trail Connector completion
- Mackaye Harbor Road relocation and Orcas village parking in San Juan County
- Burlington SR99 rail overpass replacement
- Northwest Avenue and Slater Road improvements
- SR 20/Sharpes Corner vicinity intersection
If you’d like more detail, please check out the updated budget documents online.