Food Pavilion got a new name this week: The Market at Anacortes. It's part of an effort by owner Brown & Cole Stores to spruce up the supermarket.
The new name rounds out a $1 million renovation of the Commercial Ave. store, which includes a new certified organic department, a larger produce section, more specialty food options and demonstrations by a chef. The chef is on hand many days preparing entrees for purchase or for demonstration in the store's new Kitchen Connection area.
Also added are: a new chicken wing bar with seasonings and sauces, fresh made-to-order sandwiches and an expanded bakery and deli.
The Anacortes store is one of the company's first to be renovated and get new services.
The produce section has been enlarged and other changes have taken place inside the store over the past few weeks. Brown & Cole, based in Bellingham, owns 20 supermarkets across the state, most in northwest Washington. It was founded in 1909, making it one of the oldest grocery stores in the state.
Watch for a Grand Opening early next month.