Community News

2015 1119 2 campus site plan

The city Planning Commission is recommending the City Council approve a set of permits to allow a replacement and modernization of the high school to move ahead.

The Planning Commission voted Thursday night to send the permit requests to the City Council, recommending approval of a conditional use permit and a variance to the city’s height limit for the new building, along with a SEPA environmental review and associated wetland buffer impacts.

Current zoning in the area allows buildings up to 35 feet tall, but the proposed new facility is planned for 43 feet. The current high school building is 51 feet tall.

The project consists of the replacement of approximately 65% of the existing 154,956 square foot Anacortes High School and modernization of the remaining 35%.

The existing gym/PE facility and Brodniak Theater will be modernized (approximately 55,000 square feet) and Rice Field will be upgraded to include new turf, a 1,500-seat partially-covered stadium, and associated support facilities such as lighting, crew buildings, and parking /driveway areas.

The City Council is slated to consider the recommendations at its February 16 meeting.