The City of Anacortes – Anacortes Arts Commission – is seeking artists for a new project to beautify Anacortes, while providing a service to the bike commuters in the community.
The Anacortes Arts Commission is seeking fun, artistic and functional bike racks to be installed at various locations in downtown Anacortes. Specific sites will be determined by the selected designs. Designs may either incorporate existing bike racks provided by the city, or stand alone entirely of their own materials. The vision is to enliven our streetscape with creative and functional public art. During the first phase of this project up to four concepts will be chosen.
Designs should be broadly appealing. Designs may not be advertisements for specific businesses, agencies or individuals. No logos will be permitted. Utilizing a Google or Bing search on the computer with key words “artistic bike racks” or “art bike racks” will yield a wide variety of photo inspiration. Searching Pinterest will also provide inspiration. The City of Anacortes has existing bike racks that are similar to the pictured design that may be utilized, if desired.
A stipend will be provided to artists of winning designs. Stipend will be $500 - $2,000 depending on the scope of the work. Stipend will depend upon complexity of the project and materials used in the design. We will work with the artist on installation, depending upon the complexity of the design.
- Bike rack must be able to support each bicycle in a least two places
- Allow locking of frame and wheels with a U-lock and cable locks
- Resist cutting, rusting, bending and deformation
- Materials used must be durable and weather resistant
- Designs relating to specific locations will be considered
This project is open to experienced artists from Washington State, age 18 and over, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, or physical or mental disability. Artist teams are eligible to apply.
- Design concept including drawing and proposed materials to be used, and budget requested.
- Current artist resume that includes name, address, email address and phone number.
- Self addressed, stamped envelope if you want proposal materials returned
- A qualified jury will select all finalists
- The Anacortes Arts Commission reserves the right to make no selection in this process if appropriate concepts are not submitted
- There is no entry fee
Send to: Anacortes Arts Commission, P.O. Box 547, 904 6th Street, Anacortes, WA 98221
Proposal deadline: July 30, 2015
Jury completion of proposals: August 15, 2015
Selection announcement: August 24 , 2015
Project completion: November 1, 2015