Business News

The state has suspended the license of the Holiday Motel. The state Department of Health says the motel, at 2903 Commercial Ave., poses an immediate safety hazard to guests.

State investigators found numerous electrical and gas line problems throughout the facility, widespread fire and safety violations, and many maintenance and sanitation problems.

The Health Department says motel room conditions include unsafe electrical wiring; non-working smoke detectors; unsanitary floors, walls, and fixtures; and other unsanitary conditions. A "live" gas pipe was present in one room — so that if the valve was turned, gas would be released into the unit. This presents a serious fire, explosion, and asphyxiation risk for motel guests.

All guests must be vacated by midnight, Sunday night. The motel cannot house guests until a hearing is held. The motel owner has 10 days to request a prompt hearing and 28 days to contest these charges.

Motels offering three or more units to guests for less than 30 days must be licensed by the state’s Facilities and Services Licensing Program. The program licenses about 1,700 motels, hotels, inns, resorts, and bed and breakfast facilities in the state. It enforces health and safety standards for those establishments.